I really enjoyed the 7th chapter. Talk about evidence in support of art education. I loved writing stories with illustrations in elementary school. I don't know what happened in high school, why did they stop asking us to do that? At least as a way to get started? I plan to look into a few of the articles referenced in this chapter for some literary research I am doing. The notion that using art and language as integrated channels of communication to enhance students' skills in both methods seems so logical. Why didn't I think of that before?
The examples of classroom activities made the concepts more applicable in my mind. I needed that to get a better idea on how to make it happen in the classroom.
When it comes to chapter 6. The whole time I was reading I wondered why we are used to encouraging psychomotor activities in elementary levels but not as much in secondary. I guess I think it could benefit both levels.
Next week I'll have to show everyone the Musk Ox Pokey, that way we can follow the advice in the last part of chapter 6 and mimic the sounds and movements of our animal creation.
2 comments:
I agree. There should certainly be more illustrated writing and psychomotor projects in secondary schools! Maybe even in college?
Speaking of which-I am looking forward to the Muskox pokey!
I love the fact that this chapter is something written that makes sense that defends art as an important developmental tool. When I was going to school before to become an art teacher my main worry was whether or not it would stay in the curriculum. The chapter encourages me to research more support and to begin writing my art advocacy letter.
Post a Comment