After reading through Chapter 5 I found a few concepts particularly important. In-process evaluation, motivation, and using recalled experience and direct perception in combination during the art-making process.
I love watching students learn from their peers when they engage in spontaneous in-process assessment... of course, only when it is constructive. This semester as I work with the Art Specialists I see that my mentors ask students to avoid discussing their work-in-progress and focus on completion of the project. Due to time constraints and the logistics of the program, I see less evaluative activities as a final stage of the art lessons. Some projects allow for time to evaluate the work and others do not. I prefer to provide an opportunity for students to review the completed work and participate in art critiques.
The paragraph in the text that refers to the tendency of teachers to rely on recalled experiences in primary elementary levels and direct perception in older age groups is telling. We have the habit to teach as we've been taught. I want to notice those unnecessary ruts and take the time to revise old patterns that aren't appropriate or purposeful.
No comments:
Post a Comment