Friday, April 11, 2008

Chapters 30, 31 and 32

Today I had a sixth grader decide to be funny in class and ask in front of the rest of the students if it was bad to lick the glue stick. I told him to check and see if the label said non-toxic. But the individual stick was not labeled. I assume it is non-toxic, but I noticed they were making jokes about the fact that the label did say "acid-free". I noticed this silliness about materials in middle-school and high-school students also. Anyways, I was just pointing out that students are aware of/concerned about, and sometimes are also silly about, the safety level of materials. I have noticed that some teachers are still using permanent markers in art lessons. I vow to not use them, I know a classroom full of permanent markers opened and in use is an intense smell, even with the window open.
Last week as we gathered materials for our lesson rounds. I was looking for bulk packs of black markers (washable) in order to avoid buying the "smelly" markers available through district materials. There is no such thing in the city of Fairbanks, but there are TONS of permanent markers for sale, in bulk, in black. So, I can see why some teachers end up using them, but as a consumer I will not give in to the 'materials man'. I will order on-line.
You know, I never thought of craft in the way the text describes it as labor-intensive handwork. And I never thought about it's ability to help students build an attention span, this is great. Craft is often given that stereotypical categorization of being high on the formalist elements and skilled details and low on the content or artistic intent. Why not have both? I miss working in the costume shop after reading this chapter. I want to go make something that takes a long time, looks like it took some major skills, and is created in a repetitive/arduous fashion, like a corsette, is that wierd?
I want to mix powdered clay with my bare feet and my nephews, once it gets warm this summer, that would be awesome. Or we could just do it with dirt and water in grandma's garden before we start planting. If you don't have a plaster bat. How can you reclaim clay and seep out the extra water? is there an alternative?
Well, the text has been great, but I'm ready do be done reflecting on my readings this semester.

No comments: