Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chapters 23 and 34

Has anyone ever had the opportunity to play Napoleon Dynamite Pictionary? I will bring my game to share with everyone next class. So, even Napoleon spent time drawing... remember?

"It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done." He probably has mad "crayoning skills" too (see pg. 271 for authentication of the term "crayoning skills").

These two chapters were stuffed with details about how to use materials to their fullest potential. I think I am a product of a crayon-deprived elementary art curriculum, either that or I am crayon-challenged. I've never known the depth of drawing possibilties with this medium.
You know, this author put a fair amount of emphasis on figural drawing. It is one of the those Catch 22 subjects for me. Students need the practice to be able to draw as well as they would like to, but it takes a lot of practice and many students grow weary in the process. The art specialists I am working with warned me about making a kit that involved drawing. She explained that any time you include drawing as part of the process you will find a number of students frustrated and overwhelmed by the task. It's true, especially when it comes to observational drawing. What a wonderful task to undertake, it can be likened to the herculian efforts that classroom teachers make to help students who are behind in their development of math skills. This is a highly practical section of the book, I keep thinking about the fact that I will be keeping this text and referring to it when I feel my lack of crayoning skills is stifling my creativity with project development. I assume to following chapters will be similarly useful.

No comments: