So, I have a particular interest in "multicultural understanding" through art because I have been doing some research on this topic this year. I felt like this section was particularly weak for good literal examples of how to promote positive understanding among students of varied cultures. How do you help students understand some basic tenants of a culture AND simultaneously free up the cultural boundaries? I'd like to hear what others have to say regarding this question.
I did like the advice offered about avoiding talking about another cultural group's way of life with a sense of "otherness" in order to narrow the gap that may be formed between people from different cultural backgrounds.
All of the practical ideas illustrated how to include economic, geographic, political, law, historic, and psychological concepts in the art lesson really helped me to see how the integration of social studies is possible and how much depth it adds to any art activity. Can you imagine having students draw a picture of a guest speaker (like the cop) I wonder if it would help students tune in to the information being shared?
I wonder what groups of students will think about us in the early 21st century when they look at our ARTifacts. because according to the textbook "The crafted objects of a society reflect its values."
ok, I'm done
1 comment:
I agree with you, the multicultural section was a little weak. I think letting the students research a culture rather than relaying the differences of that culture in a lecture would be a way to let the students explore and discover cultural facts. In this way they would be discovering things that define aspects of a culture and are not fed a bunch of reasons why it is so different than their own.
Post a Comment